Friday, January 8, 2010

Food for the Brain

Here are three interesting things I learned in my classes today:

1) We got the "Star Spangled Banner" tune from a drinking song... interesting, huh?

2) If you listened to songs like this ("Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin) in 1899 you'd probably feel guilty cuz it was more edgy than anything else at that time...which is just crazy to me! This music is completely innocent. Compare this to the music people are listening to a hundred years later...I wish we could go back to the innocence in popular music today.



3) Dvorak's New World Symphony is the tune to one of my favorite French cantiques, "Souviens-toi, mon enfant." I love that melody, and the French words are beautiful.

School is cool. Just wanted to share with you some of the interesting things I learned today. Hope you feel super duper smart! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love ragtime! My Grandpa Welch plays it all the time, so I loved that you posted this. :) In fact, I had to post the link on fb for my family. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Poca, I love your Grandpa Welch. And I love you!!

    ReplyDelete