Sunday, July 11, 2010

Roadtrippin' to Nashville

Au revoir Montana! I'll miss you!

2,000 miles from Hamilton, MT to Nashville, TN. Who better to drive it with than my Momma?!

Hot dawg! We're going to Nashville!

First gotta make a couple stops along the way to see....

.....this beautiful cloud.

Ta da! The cloud decided to move. It's actually Mt. Rushmore! Thank you clouds for moving. (What are those little men doing up there? I wanna stand on Thomas Jefferson's head!) The carving started in 1927 and they finished in 1941.
Yay Momma for driving across the country with me. What a Mom I have. :) Love you Momma.

So important to remember.

We visited Liberty Jail in Independence, Missouri.

Liberty Jail is where the Prophet Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Alexander McCrae, Lyman Wight and Caleb Baldwin were imprisoned for four months - from Dec. 1, 1838 to April 16, 1839. They were unjustly charged with treason to the state of Missouri.


It's crazy the conditions they were in - it was an extremely cold winter, their food was often poisoned, they had a bucket to go to the bathroom, hard floor to sleep on, and they couldn't even stand up straight - the ceiling wasn't high enough. But I love this quote that was on a pamphlet I got there.

"We remember Liberty Jail not as a place of suffering, but as a sacred spot where faith was tested and found sufficient. A place where the voice of God was heard again as He spoke to a living prophet. A place where revelation was given for all mankind."

I love that. Faith in God is sufficient for anything.

It makes me think of Hebrews 6:12: "Be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole! The next time you talk with your mom, tell her that I said that it was really good getting to meet her at your final performance before graduation. She is one of the sweetest women I've ever met! Hope things are going well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for posting those photos! Looks like you had a great road trip and so good to see your thoughts about Liberty Jail.

    ReplyDelete