Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm going on a mission!!!

Since I was a young girl, I dreamed of serving a mission for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I wanted to go because the gospel of Jesus Christ has completely changed my life, because it’s changed me and brought me true joy. I want to tell everyone about it, and give them the chance to hear this glorious message - that Christ's true church has been restored on to the earth and that God continues to speak to His children and guide us.

I wasn't sure if a full-time 18-month mission was what God had in mind for my road in life. For a while I thought, "No, my focus needs to be on music and serving God in that way."

I do feel that music is a big part of my life's mission. But earlier this year I wasn't feeling at peace in my life. I was enjoying my jobs and being in Nashville, but I think Heavenly Father was giving me that unsettled feeling so I'd really search out what He wanted me to do at this point in my life.

So after a lot of prayer and nights where I went back and forth wondering if going on a mission was right for me, I just felt this incredible peace about it. That unsettling feeling I had had before stopped. I knew that peace was from God.

Well, God has a way of making our dreams come true...this was kind of an unexpected thing for me right now. Late Friday night I got home and there was a white envelope from Salt Lake City addressed to Sister Nicole Betty Sheahan. !!!!!! I was freaking out, running around the house...because it came much earlier than I expected, and I realized this white envelope contained the location where I'd spend 18 months of my life. Wowzers.

I got my parents on the phone and had them make guesses of where I might be called. It could beanywhere in the world! The leaders of my church pray and receive revelation from God to know where He would send them. There are 140 LDS missions around the world.

Mom guessed Spain, Italy and New York.

Dad guessed France and Florida.

Shantell (my awesome roommate) guessed SoCal.

I guessed England...

I opened the letter, trying to stay calm...

It read...

Dear Sister Sheahan:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Poland Warsaw Mission...

DAHHH!!! POLAND! I never could have guessed. I am beyond excited. I was googling Poland all weekend and am trying to learn about their history and people. I will be entering the Missionary Training Center September 7, 2011 to prepare to preach the gospel in the Polish language.

I can't wait! My sister served a mission in Rome, Italy. And my twin brothers are currently serving in different parts of Chile. Each of them said that it's been the most amazing part of their life where they've found greater joy than they ever imagined.

I'm going because I believe with all my heart that Jesus is the Christ, my Savior and Redeemer. God lives. We are all children of our Heavenly Father, and He wants us to know Him and seek Him. He answers us. I grew up in this church. However, if I didn't know it was true, I would not be doing this. I would not use all the money I've been saving to buy a keyboard and to record another album to go do this for 18 months. If I didn't believe in this with all my heart, I would not be leaving jobs I love and going far away from my family and friends. Time and time again, God has confirmed its truthfulness to me, that it truly is from God, another testament of His son, Jesus Christ – and a companion to the Bible that contains a fullness of the gospel. And because I believe, I can't keep it to myself. That's why I'm going.

Poland, I'm so excited to get to know you and share the thing that has made me happier than anything with you.

And to each of you, I invite you to really take a good look at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...Not from what other people may say, but from actual members of the church. Find a church building and visit, or contact the missionaries or me, or visit mormon.org. It's either true or it's not. It's either is God's church or it isn't. So with such an important message, shouldn't we each take the time to find out for ourselves?

8 comments:

  1. sdfoiasdfnewoin! That is what went through my mind! Ah! I'm so stinkin' excited for you. I keep misspelling every other word because I'm so excited. I never EVER would have guessed that. Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    Wow! Warsaw is so lucky to soon be blessed by your presence and light! It was incredible to find out where you were going to serve your mission as I was born in Krakow, Poland and love my country of birth. I would love to see you off in September...can I come to say goodbye at the MTC or before if you'll be in Utah? I would love to write as well and you can help me with my rusty Polish :) I am so excited for you and I wish you courage as you prepare to go into the mission field as I know you will be faced with greater temptation and challenges. Je t'aime, Anabelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting Nicole! I know you will be an amazing missionary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Nicole - what an exciting time in your life - WOW Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOHOO!! Nicole, you have always been a missionary to me regardless of the official calling. I am so excited for you! I find it just wonderful you are going to Poland! Do you like Polish dogs??? hehe maybe not quite your thing ;) Btw, your music will continue to be an inspiration while you are away as well.. for example I enjoyed listening to some of your songs just this past Sunday afternoon. Very uplifting. :) MISS YOU!! We need to chat sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! You will be an amazing missionary. You continue to be an example to me. When I grow up...I hope I am more like you:) Thank you so much for sharing your exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Love ya buddy, God speed and bless your sweet heart, for serving already, you've already brought a mission to my heart to help me during my down times I listen to your songs. Thanks for doing that. You'll be awesome, go get em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Christa, you're too cute. Thanks Anabelle! I thought of you when I got my call! I'd love to see you before I go into the MTC if I can. That would be wonderful! And I'd love to write. Je t'aime aussi!! Thanks Amy, Joanna, Kelli, Allie & Tyler. Your encouragement means a lot to me. I love each of you and am so grateful to know you.

    ReplyDelete