Thursday, June 11, 2009

If You've Never Failed, You've Never Lived



I remember when I opened my letter from the School of Music in March 2007 after waiting weeks to hear back after auditions. I didn't get in. I was full of all kinds of emotions. I was bummed, I was confused, I was unsure about what to do next...but I remember getting down on my knees and praying. And that was where I found the strength to turn this "failure" into something.

After that prayer, I read Mormon 5:23 in the Book of Mormon: "Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God? Know ye not that he hath all power, and at his great command the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll?" I remember feeling this incredible peace come over me that was definitely a gift and answer from God. That was when I started writing the song, "In Your Hands" that's on my album. Not getting in made me dig deeper and realize that writing and creating music is my passion. And if it meant auditioning again the next year or doing it some other way, then so be it.

As you may know, the director of the Media Music program, Ron Simpson, called me in about three weeks after that. He told me a spot had opened and they wanted me in! I felt that same peace from God and I know that it needed to happen that way. I learned way more from failing than I would have learned if I made it in in the first place. So when I stumbled on this beautiful video, it reminded me not only of that experience, but just that life is about failing and succeeding. We learn from both. Failure is nothing to be afraid of. It's part of life and part of really living. It means we are taking risks; it means not being satisfied with being mediocre; it means trying something new that stretches us; and it means recognizing even more that we are in God's hands. He is shaping us as we give everything we have. Those experiences are what mold us and help us to be the kind of people that can make a difference in this world and help lift other people.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment